Since 2020 most of the world have been on our healthy hair journey thanks to TikTok. From homemade masks to oiling your scalp there are so many good tips and tricks to get your hair to be the best it can be. I’m going to share our top tips for creating and maintaining your healthiest hair ever.
Understanding your hair type is the first step towards effective haircare. Hair types typically fall into three categories: straight, wavy, curly. Each type has unique characteristics and requires different care routines and products. Determining your hair type will help you choose the right products and treatments tailored to your specific needs.
1. Choose the Right Shampoo and Conditioner
Selecting the appropriate shampoo and conditioner for your hair type is crucial. For example.
Straight hair benefits from lightweight, volumizing products, wavy hair thrives with hydrating, frizz-fighting options. Curly hair thrives with moisture-rich, sulfate-free products. Why sulfate free? Sulfate-free shampoos are often gentler on your hair and help maintain its natural moisture balance.
2. Proper Washing Techniques
When washing your hair, use lukewarm water, as hot water can strip away natural oils and cause dryness. Apply shampoo to your scalp and roots, massaging gently to remove dirt and excess oil. We would recommend a double shampoo or even a scalp massager that you can buy from amazon to get in there and really clean your hair. Conditioner should be applied from mid-length to the tips to prevent weighing down your hair. Rinse thoroughly to avoid product build-up.
3. Regular Conditioning
Conditioning is vital for maintaining soft, manageable hair. Consider deep conditioning treatments once a week to provide extra nourishment, it always feels like you’re really pampering yourself when you do a deep conditioning treatment.
4. Scalp Oiling
We saw this trend from TikTok, but it is an ancient Indian technique used to help promote healthy hair and hair growth. Rosemary oil is your best friend for this, make sure to use one that is diluted by another oil or a premixed rosemary oil as rosemary on its own can be too harsh and irritate the scalp.
5. Use the Right Brush or Comb
The type of brush or comb you use can significantly impact your hair’s health. Boar bristle brushes work well for distributing natural oils in straight hair. Be gentle when detangling to prevent breakage.
6. Minimize Heat Styling
Excessive heat styling can damage your hair over time. Whenever possible, let your hair air dry, and use heat-protectant sprays before using hot tools. If you must style with heat, choose lower temperature settings, and limit usage to avoid heat-induced damage.
Now how to combat common hair problems…
- Frizz: To combat frizz, apply anti-frizz serums or oils to damp hair and avoid over-washing, which can strip away natural oils.
- Dandruff: Use a dandruff-fighting shampoo with ingredients like pyrithione zinc or ketoconazole.
- Split Ends: Trim your hair regularly to prevent split ends and use hair serums or oils to keep your ends healthy, we would recommend every six weeks to keep your hair in top shape.
- Thinning Hair: Consider using products with biotin, minoxidil, or ketoconazole to promote hair growth, and consult a dermatologist for further guidance, you could always try hair growth serums for the scalp or vitamins such as Biotin that will help hair grow.
- Oily Scalp: Use a clarifying shampoo to remove excess oil and avoid over washing, as it can stimulate more oil production.
Your hair is an essential part of your overall appearance, and taking good care of it should be a top priority, we always have a good skincare routine, so why not invest in a good haircare routine as well. By understanding your hair type, choosing the right products, and following these essential haircare tips, you can maintain healthy, vibrant hair and combat common hair problems effectively. Remember, consistency is key, and with the right care, you can unlock the beauty of your hair for years to come.
I’m sold – how can I go ahead?
The best way to go ahead with us is to book a free consultation here and come and see us, ask all the questions you wish and if you want to go ahead then we take payment and plan/organise and book your appointment with us.
We are located just outside of Manchester City Centre
Or, want to chat? Call us on 01613271712